What to expect -
The professional residential training course is taught over 2 x 100 hour, eleven night Teacher Training modules. You do not need to take TTR1 and TTR2 in the same year but you do need to take TTR1 before TTR2.
To help integrate mindfulness into your life, you are required to read core books and complete self-study and reflective journaling before arrival on both modules.
Also, between modules you are also asked to continue your daily practice using the Mindful Academy 8 Week MBSR Participant Workbook (studied during module 1) in preparation for deepening your teaching skills in module 2.
In total the two modules give you 180 contact hours and at least 84 non contact hours, making the course a total of 264 hours of study.
Our time together on the professional Teacher Training retreats will be spent both in silence as we practice, and in reflective investigation as we learn through small and large group workshops.
During the training we will engage in actual teaching of the main curriculum of the Mindfulness-based Stress reduction course during our morning and afternoon workshops. For more details see below.
Training Outcomes -
The aims of the 2 professional Teacher Training retreats are to help you to develop an in-depth personal experience of mindfulness and to build the foundations of a sustained personal practice, with a view to applying this in your life and professional work.
The course is designed for those who are willing to engage in the intense nature of this training and who understand the primary necessity of embodying mindfulness meditation practice into your own life, before attempting to teach others.
Participants should be willing to undertake sustained inner work as we explore in detail the core elements and themes of Mindfulness-based programmes. This foundation will then enable the integration of the practices into the work setting.
The training mainly focuses on the teaching process and curriculum of both Mindful Meditation and the group based 8 week MBSR Mindfulness course. It will also enable you to integrate mindfulness into individual therapeutic work.
*Typical daily schedule –
- 07.00 – 08.00 Mindful movement and meditation practice
- 08.00 – 09.00 Breakfast
- 10.00 – 13.45 Morning Workshop's
- 13.45 - 16.00 Lunch
- 16.00 – 20.00 Afternoon Workshop's including teaching practice
- 20.00 – 21.00 Dinner
*daily schedule is subject to change
There is also a half day Silent Retreat guided by Kathy and Bodhin on both TTR1 and TTR2
200hr Course content –
Practice and Training –
- Taking your seat – how to find your Meditation posture
- The 8 attitudinal foundations of mindfulness practice
- Mindfulness Meditation practices including –Pranayamas (breathing techniques) Breath awareness
- Sitting meditation (moving from focus on the breath to an expanded awareness)
- Eating Meditation,
- Loving kindness meditation,
- Walking meditation and
- Mindful movement
- Progressive Muscle Relaxation
- Body Scanning
- Joint and Energy freeing movement sequence
Teaching Methodology –
- Defining Mindfulness
- Working with the Triangle of Awareness
- What is Body Awareness?
- The 4 key skill sets of teaching Mindfulness –
- Stewardship of the group
- Homiletics (delivery of didactic material)
- Guidance of formal practices and informal group experiences.
- Inquiry into participants direct experience
- The structure of an 8 week MBSR Mindfulness-based Stress Reduction course –
- Week 1 – What is Mindfulness
- Week 2 – What is Stress?
- Week 3 – Responding versus Reacting
- Week 4 – Gathering the scattered mind
- Week 5 – Mindfulness of thoughts
- Week 6 – Mindfulness of emotions
- Week 7 – Cultivating Compassion
- Week 8 – A Mindful Life
- Week 1 – What is Mindfulness
Anatomy, Physiology, Psychology –
- Anatomy of the Nervous system
- Anatomy of Breathing
- What is Stress and how it affects our bodies
- How our thoughts and emotions affect our wellbeing
- Benefits of Meditation on the systems of the body
- Modern mind/body science, integrating technology
Philosophy and History of Meditation –
- Eastern versus Western Philosophy
- Ethics of a Meditation Teacher
- History of Meditation, Mindfulness and Mindfulness based Stress Reduction
Theory of Meditation process & Pranayama
- The meditation process
- Pranayama (breathing) – guidelines, effects and contraindications
- Mindfulness practices for Health Challenges
- Effective meditation guidance –
- Meditation frequently asked questions
- Mindfulness in daily life
Teaching Experience –
- Observing and assisting in classes
- Practice teaching in a class environment
Tutorials and Pre course assignments –
- Reading the 4 pre-course books (2 per training)
- Completing pre-course Mindfulness practices using the MP3's provided with completion of a Reflective Meditation Journal
- Completing the provided 8 week MBSR self-study programme to deepen your practice before TTR2
- Commitment to a personal mindfulness practice through daily formal and informal practice
The Two Modules Includes extensive practice and training on how to teach all aspects of Mindfulness MBSR Meditation.
To read more, click the link's in the Meditation Teacher Training drop down menu box above